Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Resurrection Rolls

Last week was crazy around here with some unexpected stuff. By the time Easter rolled around, I didn't have anything planned. Oops. We don't do the whole Easter bunny/basket thing. It is a day to focus on our Savior and the wonderful gift he gave to us...to live with him and our Father in Heaven again. 

Last night for family night, we made our lesson/activity/treat, those awesome resurrection rolls you've seen on Pinterest and blogland. Last year a friend we go to Church with dropped everything off for us to make these and to do the little lesson...such a neat idea. I was excited to do it this year. 

I remembered what to do from last year, but I did reference THIS blog (The Larson Lingo) just to double check and to get the meaning of the things I forgot. grab some dough, butter (melted), marshmallows, and cinnamon sugar. We just made our own cinnamon sugar...1/2 cup sugar & 1 tablespoon cinnamon. *note, the cinnamon shown below has a little different taste than normal cinnamon...I'm not too big a fan of it.



I told the kids the meaning of each item. The dough represents the clothes Jesus was buried in (or the tomb, whichever you prefer), the marshmallow represents Jesus's body, and the melted butter is the oil & the cinnamon sugar are the spices that his body was prepared with. My kids had a fun time dipping the marshmallow into the butter and then rolling it into the cinnamon. One of my girls started to use a spoon to coat the marshmallow, but quickly realized it was easier to just dunk it.

 The oven represents the tomb that Jesus was put into. I cooked our rolls as per the instructions on the dough package...375 degrees for 12 minutes. My 8 yr old son said, "it's like every 4 minutes is a day." Very smart son!

Here is the big pan of Resurrection rolls. Can you tell which 1/2 of the pan I made? Make sure your dough is completely closed up. Don't be forceful about it though. Just do the best you can, the kids will understand the lesson no matter what.

The final product. Very neat that 'Jesus' is gone...he has RISEN! The kids were fascinated with the rolls and how the marshmallow was gone. My 9 year old even said she wanted these for every birthday and holiday...haha, I think she liked them. I think the cinnamon we used made them taste a little funny, but we will for sure make these next Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment