Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Super easy model Teepee.

I LOVE scouts. My oldest son is currently a wolf. He only has about a month and a half left before he is a bear. I used spring break as a time to work on some more arrow points. I was originally scared of doing Elective 10 in the wolf handbook. It's all about native american stuff...mostly recreating stuff. One thing that I was freaked out about was making traditional clothing. After googling it...I found out that a paper bag turned vest was perfectly acceptable...score. That was easy (and free!) and my 8 year old did it totally on his own.

Elective 10 E asked the scout to "make a model of a traditional American Indian house". After I actually sat down and thought about it...duh...a teepee was so easy. 

Materials: (use what you have on hand)
  • straws (I used coffee stirring straws)
  • ribbon/string 
  • hot glue gun
  • construction paper/card stock/ printer paper (any kind of paper really)
  • tape
  • scissors

I had my son use coffee stirring straws because we have tons of them (no coffee, but someone in the house takes a medicine that needs to be stirred into water). We arranged the straws and my son tied the ribbon while I tried to hold the straws in place. The ribbon didn't hold well at all, so I (I'm not letting my 8 year old play with my glue gun) put some hot glue on top of the ribbon between the straws. It dried super fast and it ended up being quite sturdy. 


To finish off the teepee, my son cut triangles out of construction paper and taped them to the straws. Easy peasy.


After we were done with that, we had some fun with paint. I pulled out some red, yellow, and blue paint and had my son do Elective 12c from the wolf book "Mix yellow and blue paints, mix yellow and red, and mix red and blue. Tell what color you get from each mixture." All of the kids joined in and had a blast. Oh, and I didn't feel like pulling out paint brushes, so we just used qtips. hehe. Cheap and easy to clean up.

No comments:

Post a Comment